Killers guarding Immortals taking Alcohol

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is this forum still actually needed?

I'm beginning to think that this forum is no longer actually needed and that it serves no actual purpose. The wiki I see as a useful project, but I am beginning to suspect that what the KIA community needs more than a forum is some kind of social networking type structure. Sort of more like a magic and sorcery orientated 'myspace' only based on OpenSource networking software, such as elgg. I can even set up OpenID between the networking part and the wiki part.No discussions are happening on here any more and its like a ghost town. So I really think its time I put this forum out of its misery. When I do I'll leave it here for archival purposes, but will disallow any new posts. If the social networking is successful, and the need to open the forum again becomes apparent, then I will. But for the time being I think it does nothing. Most new members introduce themselves, get welcomes by one or two regulars, and then never post again.KIA used to be quite active and alive. I used to be inspired to write a lot here and quite a community built up. But now its pretty dead. I need to do something to shake it up and resurrect it. Do people think I'm heading down the right track? Would a combo of a wiki and social networking make for a better KIA experience than a wiki and forum?

Comments

• on 1203270990:
    KIA used to be quite active and alive. I used to be inspired to write a lot here and quite a community built up. But now its pretty dead. I need to do something to shake it up and resurrect it. Do people think I'm heading down the right track? Would a combo of a wiki and social networking make for a better KIA experience than a wiki and forum?
    I really have no answer for you. mayhap try it and see? of course, you know I am all for the wiki 100% *grin* As to the form of networking, I have no clue. One could try? Feather -<<<<<~

• on 1203326463:
    I really have no answer for you. mayhap try it and see? of course, you know I am all for the wiki 100% *grin* As to the form of networking, I have no clue. One could try?
    Thanks Feather.I have no problems with the wiki. I have problems with this forum software in that they are having problems implementing OpenID. Still not present last time I checked. I've been wanting to add the network side for ages, but really don't want three parts of this website all with separate logins and passwords. Since both Elgg and MediaWiki implement OpenID, I could implement both with a single sign on, although I wouldn't initially, which would mean if the forum was still active there would be a period of three sign ins. This is less than satisfactory.But since the forum has been so dead of late, I've begun to wonder it its worth holding off the Elgg part of the site on account of it. I've also begun to question the worth of forums as a whole in todays internet. Are they a craze that has passed? Gone the way of bulletin boards? Or are they still actually useful? And if so, are they more useful in a supporting role for a more interactive website rather than as its core?

• on 1203352836:
    on 1203326463:
    I really have no answer for you. mayhap try it and see? of course, you know I am all for the wiki 100% *grin* As to the form of networking, I have no clue. One could try?
    Thanks Feather.I have no problems with the wiki. I have problems with this forum software in that they are having problems implementing OpenID. Still not present last time I checked. I've been wanting to add the network side for ages, but really don't want three parts of this website all with separate logins and passwords. Since both Elgg and MediaWiki implement OpenID, I could implement both with a single sign on, although I wouldn't initially, which would mean if the forum was still active there would be a period of three sign ins. This is less than satisfactory.But since the forum has been so dead of late, I've begun to wonder it its worth holding off the Elgg part of the site on account of it. I've also begun to question the worth of forums as a whole in todays internet. Are they a craze that has passed? Gone the way of bulletin boards? Or are they still actually useful? And if so, are they more useful in a supporting role for a more interactive website rather than as its core?
    I agree a single sign-in would be easier than having to navigate. I often chafe a bit about having to sign separately for what to me, is of the same site.I have seen other places more active. I think rather it is that many of the whom are "post chaos" are not active much publicly as they explore the potentials.( I like John Harrigan's run with retroactive magic, and recently I have seen the idea cropping up elsewhere.)Yes, I think forums are still useful. I began with computers before the days of the BBSs. (can you say tiger, tandy, vic20? do you remember the Cray, univac, ?) *chuckle* There will always be folk whom wish to speak with others or at least see what others have to say.As to what is/becomes a core, .....I am not thinking of the clam or oyster sort, but of sommat else. nae certain what but will try to relate. what becomes a "core" item or event that attracts is its properties, one would think. one must think what is it that one wishes to attract. There is as well, what is there to attract. and how many. Do you wish to concentrate on "common" factors among many or rare faculties among a few? the dichotomy is not so neat as that. anywhere in between and beyond Why do they come here? People do, and yes, many say hello and say nowt after. Makes me wish to ask them why did they come. Most would say "information", I would bet. best I can say for now, love. a bit tired, have raging toothache. Feather -<<<<<~

• on 1203394957:
    I agree a single sign-in would be easier than having to navigate. I often chafe a bit about having to sign separately for what to me, is of the same site.
    Well, we now have single sign-in for the wiki and network. I just have to remove the forum and the whole site is single sign-in now. I won't do that just yet though. I will let the network membership build up a little first.
    I have seen other places more active. I think rather it is that many of the whom are "post chaos" are not active much publicly as they explore the potentials.( I like John Harrigan's run with retroactive magic, and recently I have seen the idea cropping up elsewhere.)Yes, I think forums are still useful. I began with computers before the days of the BBSs. (can you say tiger, tandy, vic20? do you remember the Cray, univac, ?) *chuckle* There will always be folk whom wish to speak with others or at least see what others have to say.
    I started programming at 8 years old, so I do remember those computers, even if I never saw them. My first was a Sinclair ZX81. After that a BBC Model B.
    As to what is/becomes a core, .....I am not thinking of the clam or oyster sort, but of sommat else. nae certain what but will try to relate. what becomes a "core" item or event that attracts is its properties, one would think. one must think what is it that one wishes to attract. There is as well, what is there to attract. and how many. Do you wish to concentrate on "common" factors among many or rare faculties among a few? the dichotomy is not so neat as that. anywhere in between and beyond
    The great thing about social networking software, is that it allows us to create a social network aimed at specific tastes, in this case those interested in sorcery and occultism who support anti-authoritarian politics. Within the network those with things in common will gravitate towards each other. The network allows for the creation of 'communities'. Anyone can create on of these. Other members can join them. Presumably the creator has some control of the membership.
    Why do they come here? People do, and yes, many say hello and say nowt after. Makes me wish to ask them why did they come. Most would say "information", I would bet. best I can say for now, love. a bit tired, have raging toothache.
    You also? I have a wisdom tooth playing up. I had the upper right one out a few years back. But now the upper left is a little rotten...I must get those dentist registration forms in...

•     The King Is Dead    Long Live The King To all those here who touched me ~inspired me~ annoyed me~ cared & made me laugh ~ Especially Rob ~ Wolf & Te23 wherever you are. ~ Farewell, Thank you, Happy Travels et All.In the Name of the Rose ~Ariadne

• on 1204242978:
    [color] The King Is Dead Long Live The King
    Indeed!(Sorry for the edit, I accidentally hit 'Modify' instead of 'Quote' without noticing. Your post should be unaltered however...

• on 1204242978:
    To all those here who touched me ~inspired me~ annoyed me~ cared & made me laugh ~ Especially Rob ~ Wolf & Te23 wherever you are. ~ Farewell, Thank you, Happy Travels et All.
    Well Te23 has made it to the new KIA site already http://network.kiamagic.com/te23Not sure about Rob, do you mean RVA?

• Is there a way to access a members list on the new forum? I couldnt find any way to do that ~ Which made it feel a bit empty : ~ Please let me know? & What is Te23's logon?

• on 1204243746:
    Is there a way to access a members list on the new forum? I couldnt find any way to do that ~ Which made it feel a bit empty : ~ Please let me know? & What is Te23's logon?
    te23. Although his new display name is simply J.I will see about adding a members list. There must be a plug-in for that, if not I can write one.

• That would be handy   , thank you, Web Master    without one, tis a bit like a labyrinth where one cant connect with any one ...

• on 1204243952:
    That would be handy , thank you, Web Master without one, tis a bit like a labyrinth where one cant connect with any one ...
    Yes. at the moment it depends on members filling in their profiles, writing a blog, or posting in the forum before they show up anywhere. But 'filling in their profiles' is ambiguous, and I'm not sure which fields need to be filled in yet before the profile counts as being filled......this is all new at the moment, and it may take a little time before we can all find our way around.

• Bit like Life, ainnit? 8==8

• Bit like Life, ainnit? 8==8

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler