Kissing Insectivores of the Age

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Experiments with Sacred Landscape & The Drift.

Hi All.Years ago, at a lecture in London, I heard something about using lunar maps to navigate around familiar cities to reveal hidden spaces and create new relationships with the psychogeography. This sounded pretty interesting, but I kind of forgot about it, and it wasnt until the Awakenings 06 in Preston, when I saw Julian Vayne talking about walking the wheel of the year that I put two and two together and got 23.After reading a bit about sacred landscape and about situationism and the drift, Ive started to experiment with these techniques myself - putting myself into a magical/mystical state of mind then walking around the areas around my home and work, trying to navigate from bits of maps from other places and reimaginig/rediscovering ruins of ancient/future histories - and Ive got to say its been quite fascinating, not to mention a little frightening. There does seem to be a dreamlike quality to these journeys, more, theres also an animist sensation to it where everything seems to be alive with meaning and intelligence, and honestly I feel like Im in the presence of the spirits and gods. Likewise there also seems to be intricate patterns of connection, causal relationships between things like bus hoardings and dancing litter, bird flight and the height of buildings. As a result of this Im starting to mythologize my surrounding, finding holy and cursed places amid the urban sprawl. Im locating power centres that I can plug into (like the thing about finding your seat, or something, that a friend told me hed read in Carlos Castaneda how that for citing a reliable source ) and uncovering/creating long dead/unborn pantheons and epic, poetic histories/prophecies.To continue with this Im currently Im working on doing a Burroughs/Gyson cut-up of travel guides / travelogues / sci-fi / fantasy / mythological texts, and when its finished Im going to become a tourist in my own locality looking out for the sites of local history/futurology as described in my tour guide.Ive also been toying with the idea of walking sigils but Ive done nothing with this yet.Now Im not sure if any of this involves discovering secret things actually there, re-imagining the mundane world or if there is any difference between the two positions. What I can say is that it is a unique experience. There is a real sense of stepping out of the real world and stepping into something elseAnyway, sorry if this is old-hat to people or sounds like Im trying to reinvent the wheel - but I wanted to post becausea) This is really exciting.(b) I wanted to know if anyone else has any experiences / ideas / thoughts about any of this (that I can work with), because Im about ready to move from dalliance to heavy-duty exploration.Cheers & Take CareMatt.

Comments

• I didn't mean to ignore this post.  It deserves a longer reply than I can manage right now.Its very interesting work. Something I have been building in a similar fashion, especially since I moved. A good novel that explores this theme is 'The Wasp Factory' by Iain Banks. Well worth a read in my opinion. Very amusing story! If you like dark humour anyway...

• Hi Anton,Love to hear about you're ideas when you've got time - a commodity which I know is in very short supply Likewise, I've been meaning to read "The Wasp Factory" for years now so I better get round to it.Things are really starting to take shape with this project, so I'll post some more about it later in the week.Cheers and take careMatt

• on 1177932575:
    Love to hear about you're ideas when you've got time - a commodity which I know is in very short supply
    Still short for time, but I was on OccultForums over the weekend for the first time in a while. I added the url for the kia wiki to my sig and made some posts in the hope that some readers would notice and come over and support our project.Anyway, one of the threads related to someones local power spot and I posted a few times on there:http://www.occultforums.com/showthread.php?t=21541I have to say, re-reading your post, that I haven't done anything involving the mapping of stars onto my local spaces. Instead I go out for walks and take note of places of interest...

• The idea sounds fascinating. Years ago I once took a walk reading Rabelais' (I think it was) Gargantua. It was May and a beautiful spring day. That walkabout was special. I found things from the book mirrored in my surroundings several times and then reading on the book seemed to describe what was happening there and what I was doing there. I don't remember the details too good though, just that it all had a very dreamlike quality.Greetings,Zeitl0ch

• I just feel like writing some more on this topic because I just had a very paradoxical experience. I feel like staying cryptic about that and maybe about the whole topic. But there definitely seems to be something like magical travel. Of course Castanedas books are full of descriptions of something like that but also Alexandra David Neels books have something about them that links to it. If you imagine me in a black turtleneck, smoking, I can tell you: It has got to with altering self choice in the style of K. Maybe some Golden Dawn texts can also serve as hints on how to do it but just at times when you have the right mindset. I know I sometimes lacked this mindset completely and was longing to do this again. At other times it was the easiest of all things to do.While the hobby in question is a very safe thing for your physical health, because you will always long for what is pleasant to you, I guess there are still some dangers. Let me put it that way: you can get into a painful conflict with consensus reality. But on the other hand: If you gain some experience with such an exercise, you might sometimes wonder what reality really is, or what it really is LIKE. Is the concept REALITY a realistic one? Isn't reality something that's slightly different from what we think? It seems travelling, we can bend and reshape it.Maybe the worst thing are painful doubts you can have afterwards. And sometimes it just collapses to illusion and false memory. On the other hand this can give you a chance to regain peace after very excessive adventures.Anyone else wanting to take up this thread again? Maybe to some of you this all just seems to be a fantasy. But the more interested you get in such a fantasy the easier a real experience of such a kind is. A good inspiring read is this famous website: www.incunabula.orgWell, but be warned: really doing it is probably one of the most sophisticated branches of chaos magic and not the most harmless one.Greetings,Zeitl0ch

• I just feel like writing some more on this topic because I just had a very paradoxical experience. I feel like staying cryptic about that and maybe about the whole topic. But there definitely seems to be something like magical travel. Of course Castanedas books are full of descriptions of something like that but also Alexandra David Neels books have something about them that links to it. If you imagine me in a black turtleneck, smoking, I can tell you: It has got to with altering self choice in the style of K. Maybe some Golden Dawn texts can also serve as hints on how to do it but just at times when you have the right mindset. I know I sometimes lacked this mindset completely and was longing to do this again. At other times it was the easiest of all things to do.While the hobby in question is a very safe thing for your physical health, because you will always long for what is pleasant to you, I guess there are still some dangers. Let me put it that way: you can get into a painful conflict with consensus reality. But on the other hand: If you gain some experience with such an exercise, you might sometimes wonder what reality really is, or what it really is LIKE. Is the concept REALITY a realistic one? Isn't reality something that's slightly different from what we think? It seems travelling, we can bend and reshape it.Maybe the worst thing are painful doubts you can have afterwards. And sometimes it just collapses to illusion and false memory. On the other hand this can give you a chance to regain peace after very excessive adventures.Anyone else wanting to take up this thread again? Maybe to some of you this all just seems to be a fantasy. But the more interested you get in such a fantasy the easier a real experience of such a kind is. A good inspiring read is this famous website: www.incunabula.orgWell, but be warned: really doing it is probably one of the most sophisticated branches of chaos magic and not the most harmless one.Greetings,Zeitl0ch

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler