Killers of the Illuminati taking Absinthe

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Feisty Fawn

Hey all.I have been very busy the last while, so not floating the interweb that much. I was wondering if anyone, or more likely if Anton, has checked out the new Ubuntu distro yet? I have installed it but so far haven't been able to get my wireless connection working. At first the sound wasn't happening either, though that seems to have changed. Perhaps due to an update I just got.Though ultimately it's Ubuntu and I am quite enjoying it. It's nice to not be using windows...Anyways I gotta be off.Cheers!-Te23

Comments

• on 1177737543:
    Hey all.I have been very busy the last while, so not floating the interweb that much. I was wondering if anyone, or more likely if Anton, has checked out the new Ubuntu distro yet? I have installed it but so far haven't been able to get my wireless connection working. At first the sound wasn't happening either, though that seems to have changed. Perhaps due to an update I just got.Though ultimately it's Ubuntu and I am quite enjoying it. It's nice to not be using windows...Anyways I gotta be off.Cheers!-Te23
    I still run Debian GNU Linux. What I'd really like is to get a machine running Debian GNU Hurd. I've heard of Ubuntu of course, but never seen it running. If I had a spare PC I'd probably mess around with installing it and other distro's just to see what they are like.

• on 1177737543:
    I am now checking out Ubuntu. Sound works straight off install, it required very little configuration (mainly I just wanted to set up left and right panels instead of top and bottom. I may find myself having to install some other stuff later, but it already comes with most things I need, such as open office and GIMP. And it just has the GNOME desktop so I'm not confused by which software runs better in KDE and which in GNOME etc. I may check out some other distros since I'm changing around anyway, its been a while since I checked what was out there...

• Your lucky, my sound didn't work.  I think I downloaded an update which fixed the drivers.My laptop has a some Broadcom stuff in it, whom I discovered have refused to release drivers. For instance my wireless connection doesn't work. Though I haven't played around with Ndiswrapper yet so we will see if I can get it up.On the previous distro nothing on my laptop worked. I couldn't get an internet connection wired or wireless, my sound worked but the computer didn't read my headphones jack. Where as now if I plug something into my headphones jack it still comes over the laptop speakers as well.But such is life with linux. I guess it makes things more fun. I have learned a lot about linux over the last couple of months trying to get shit to work.....I think it's pretty easy to download KDE stuff. On my old laptop I had a whole bunch of different linux desktops I could access....Cheers!-Te23

• on 1178318117:
    Your lucky, my sound didn't work. I think I downloaded an update which fixed the drivers.My laptop has a some Broadcom stuff in it, whom I discovered have refused to release drivers. For instance my wireless connection doesn't work. Though I haven't played around with Ndiswrapper yet so we will see if I can get it up.On the previous distro nothing on my laptop worked. I couldn't get an internet connection wired or wireless, my sound worked but the computer didn't read my headphones jack. Where as now if I plug something into my headphones jack it still comes over the laptop speakers as well.But such is life with linux. I guess it makes things more fun. I have learned a lot about linux over the last couple of months trying to get shit to work.....I think it's pretty easy to download KDE stuff. On my old laptop I had a whole bunch of different linux desktops I could access....Cheers!-Te23
    I have heard that getting linux onto a laptop can be a pain because of the inability to upgrade/change hardware in case of unsupported chips. One of the reasons my soon to be purchased laptop will be an Apple. Getting linux distros onto desktop pcs is much easier and getting easier all the time. I do have one hardware issue to resolve, that will involve an upgrade to my graphics card. Basically nvidia don't support screen rotation in their linux driver. Silly really, it can't be that much hard work for them to add it, and in all other respects their linux drivers are the business. Although they are not open source. Their is an open source driver for nvidia cards, but it doesn't have graphics acceleration, meaning a lot of 3d screen savers run very jerkily. So the best thing for me to do is find out what graphics cards have linux drivers that do support screen rotation. After all, I have a 17 ViewSonic VP930 and it'd be nice to use its full potential...

• Just came across this video of someone installing Ubuntu at a public library on some donated PCs.  Apparently M$ licenses are not transferable!http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/an_ubuntu_story.html#comments

• Long time no see, brothers and sisters. I thought I would jump around to see what's going around in the other world 
So how is everyone doing?
It's actually funny to see this topic on this forum, chaos and geek-art doesn't work together as far as I know 
As for Feisty Fawn, I'm running it.
That explains everything, right? I'm glad I found freedom in the world of science.
Jaq, remember what I promised you, if you're reading this, I still remember it

• on 1181499967:
    Long time no see, brothers and sisters. I thought I would jump around to see what's going around in the other world 
So how is everyone doing?
It's actually funny to see this topic on this forum, chaos and geek-art doesn't work together as far as I know
    Hmm. I think someone needs to read 'Chaos and Cyberculture' by Timothy Leary. And Liber Cyber by Charles Brewster. And 'Words made Flesh' by Ramsey Dukes. Or even my old article 'Magic and Technology', which can be found in the wiki.
    As for Feisty Fawn, I'm running it.

Cool.
    That explains everything, right? I'm glad I found freedom in the world of science.
Jaq, remember what I promised you, if you're reading this, I still remember it
    Jaq hasn't been around for a while, but I sent a message sayingyou'd asked after her. Not sure when she'll receive it, but I'msure she will eventually.

• No surprises there; But i also run feisty.My old computer upgraded to feisty all the way from warty. (warty > Breezy > dapper> efty > feisty) There's hoary between warty & breezy, but i skipped that because of numerous reports at the time that the upgrade was nigh impossible/broken and the next time i looked at upgrading; Breezy was about to get released so, heck (yes technically i did upgrade to hoary, in which i did a reboot and upgraded a bit further )The system is quite a mess now though, not in the smallest part because i had to tinker a lot in the past to get certain things to work.My new computer, running feisty, just a fresh install with a copied home dir from my old computer.My laptop fedora core 4, because the suspend/hibernate works with that, and it didn't with ubuntu, and i'm too buggered to find out why.

• Hi stratos!  Long time no see! 

• Here's me comparing Linux (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn) to Windows XP migration (Via dual boot of course): http://sergemerlin.livejournal.com/632.htmlSomeone posted how Linux Stability is a myth, which is not true at all... things crash on Windows for no apparent reason...

• Here's me comparing Linux (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn) to Windows XP migration (Via dual boot of course): http://sergemerlin.livejournal.com/632.htmlSomeone posted how Linux Stability is a myth, which is not true at all... things crash on Windows for no apparent reason...

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler