Kin making Idolised AIs

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Will you forever need magic?

I just had a mail conversation with our Alexei, and writing to him, I figured I am presently in a state where I don't need magic. Neither am I a friend of the sports approach presently. I can not tell if this state will go on forever, but for whatever happens I have my collection of techniques. This seems like kind of a goal of both philosophical and magical development. I remember that story of this Zen Master who gave up using the I Ching after decades because he had no need for it anymore. I don't guarantee I will never touch magic again. I don't know what the future might bring. Have you ever wondered about that? Maybe I can assist some who are still on the path, maybe I can't, maybe no one will let me. While for all the years this is basically what you long for, I just least expected it to happen in some way. I repeat, I can't tell if it is forever. And it is different from what I imagined a perfect life to be in the past. Mysteriously enough, I will continue to be around here.

Comments

• I think that was Phil Hine who said that occultism/ magic is the "last toy" of the mind and it will be finally rejected by it. Magic as I understand it, is a form of action used to impose one's will onto surrounding environment or one's "own reality". Every form of action requires using some forms of judgements and selection between one's surroundings. To perform any form of activity, one needs to discriminate between their surroundings. Without that it is not possible to make any choices. At the same time to make a choice means to ignore (or temporarily ignore) the other options.

Meanwhile in the process of learning one may decide to refrain from any activity and let the mind "to swallow" all the possible information before making judgements. This is a very important stage in the process of self- development of any kind. Without it people often carry the same assumptions for years without ever verifying them.

I am not sure if this is the stage, you are going through although it seems possible as you started studying recently. This suggests to me that you need to verify some of you previous knowledge, or simply "have a break" in your life. (Unless you are studying simply to get a qualification and find a better job )

• I've set my sight at enlightenment. I'm probably going to fall short, but it's better to overshoot than undershoot.

Happiness isn't as good as freedom and truth to me.

So yes, I will always need magick.

• Concerning truth and freedom I already had certain achievements, lacked happiness for a longer time though, not completely, but it wasn't safe enough to stop worrying. I'd say for enlightenment, well in the Western Tradiotion you can pretty well read and research. It can lead to what you aim at.

• As regards enlightenment I always liked the Taoist approach that simplicity is a virtue and a "real master" is like a child. Actually I think that the closer you are to enlightenment, the less you talk about it. The reason is that people will always turn your words into something else, whatever fits their own believes system and then they will argue with each other about the real meaning of these words. This is the same reason why I believe that "real master" (whatever that means) will never start a religion.

An enlightened person will be most likely a quiet person that nobody is noticing. This motif is described in many books (including Lord of the Rings ) on the example of war heroes. They come back home after long journey and everyone can see that something had changed in them but they can not be sure what. The travellers who got only a "taste" of adventure will make lot of noise around themselves and try to impress the others. They are also most likely to become public celebrities. The travellers who went through the really long journey will find it difficult to communicate with others and people are very likely to find them "weird and suspicious".

• I guess the answer to this question, at least for me, is really based on my comprehension of what magic is.

I mean I've been procrastinating on formal spells - but have I been procrastinating on magic?

Really I like Crowley's explanation that any willed act is an act of magic. For me, writing in my blog to retain and draw in new readers - it's an act of magic. My morning chores of feeding cats, dogs, goats, chickens and cows - it's a life affirming ritual. The food I cook to taste good and be nutritious is also enchanted (especially after familiarizing myself with Hoodoo, and finding that devil's dung is a delightful spice once it has been cooked in oil to get rid of the sulphur smell).

And my free hand technique of simply intending something and having it manifest whenever the circumstance of the intent is matched with no attachment.

So, it's not so much that I need magic. For me it's that magic is a pill that once swallowed cannot be undone. There's no divorcing magic from life for me now.

• Magic has been much like trying to change my life to me. And now I have arrived at a point where this doesn't seem to be so necessary anymore. However I was so used to that basic orientation of improving things, that it's actually getting hard sometimes to get used to not doing it anymore. I find myself searching for things I could still improve. But then I wonder would I risk this being content again, if I'd take up the task? I have not achieved everything I have ever dreamed of, just curiously enough to not be unhappy about anything anymore. I mean if I use a broader definition of Magic(k), I am actually still doing it, I guess. Ha, it's weird to myself, really!

• It is an interesting dilemma. Presumably magic is about, in simple terms, getting what you want. Therefore one could assume that to succeed in magic one would attain a state in which everything one wants is on tap with no further effort required. This is all very well if we were to take the choice to disregard the plight of the rest of humanity, but what if we desire to improve the society in which we live? This need not be an act of altruism, a magus might have quite selfish reasons for wanting to live in a better society. Happier people make for better company and more intelligent conversation for example. At least I find it to be so.

I guess on the other side, some twisted magi might get some perverse pleasure from other peoples suffering, and may actively work to make society a hellish place, I don't know, but then I suspect such people will never be happy, even if they were to become dictators, and I suspect many have.

I suspect it is not so much a case of always 'needing' magic, as a case of always finding it useful. Now I know how to use it, I am no more likely to want to give it up than I am to want to give up using my hands. I could live my life without magic, and since learning magic have tried living without it on occasions, sometimes for many months, but I find such periods tedious and sometimes problematic.

Will you forever need your hands?

• I am not taking a vow to never use magic again, didn't even consider that. So it's not a complete giving up. Who knows, maybe I have to use it again. That could well happen. I remember that I once said I considered creating art as a form of magic. And just today I took up one unfinished artistic project again, so... I also find myself still exchanging knowledge and experience, not only here but also in that German forum I mentioned. An interesting difference to the KIA forum is, that there many non-magicians ask magicians for advice, as if this was typically German - "Let's go shopping in the magic department!" I mean I have tried to share some knowledge and give some advice there. The topic is not gone from my life. There's just nothing, or hardly anything to enchant for, divinate for or what have you currently.

And my hands - I use my hands a lot, on some occasions more than other people when I speak even. But there are times when my hands rest, well, but for my case hands are a bad example. Doesn't mean I'll never need 'em again.

But actually my situation makes me wonder that it's possible to get to a state where you definitely have no use for magic anymore ever. I wanted to make you people wonder if that's where you want to go. And I am not sure if that's where I want to go. But I believe thinking about that can increase clarity.

• It's a very intense full moon almost together with Equinox. Maybe it's just that. I saw a lot of freaky behaviour around here yesterday. I also made an experiment based on betting on a Buddhist paradigm not too long ago (seemed so plausible). Maybe that causes a change. And I have re-read some Spare and was super inspired. Maybe it's that. Whatever it is I feel totally encouraged for some more Magick. I feel like I am gonna do something again. So since January it was all basically very "secular" activity - constructive, useful, with pleasure for sure. I think I'll do some kind of practice again or broaden my repertoire now. Currently I can't say what it will be or what I've begun, but I am riding again.

• It's a very intense full moon almost together with Equinox. Maybe it's just that. I saw a lot of freaky behaviour around here yesterday. I also made an experiment based on betting on a Buddhist paradigm not too long ago (seemed so plausible). Maybe that causes a change. And I have re-read some Spare and was super inspired. Maybe it's that. Whatever it is I feel totally encouraged for some more Magick. I feel like I am gonna do something again. So since January it was all basically very "secular" activity - constructive, useful, with pleasure for sure. I think I'll do some kind of practice again or broaden my repertoire now. Currently I can't say what it will be or what I've begun, but I am riding again.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler