Khmer Izanami on Aquatic centipede

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Last Days (film)

"Last Days" is a film inspired by the last days of Kurt Cobain. First, I admit that I watched it because Asia Argento is in it. She's kind of my actress crush. But it's hard to get films with/by her around here. This one was in the local library so I picked it up. What do i get? Asia's butt and not much acting from her! OK, but then I grew up with Grunge and so the topic of the film was a topic of my teenage times. So first we get something very grungy on film and then also things which are completely not like Grunge, just projected into the era. The whole nature part of it, that's much of what the time was like for me, and the pictures resemble where I grew up and still live. I really love that. And it's definitely not Kurt Cobain we see there. In his media presence he was completely different from this person in the film, yet looked almost exactly like that person. The film doesn't give us any reasons for why he died. Researching facts gives us much more reasons (the Rohypnol affair). It gives us the atmosphere of the place where he lived and died. And I am an Absurdist. I see the Absurd in this film very much. And with knowledge of this topic, the film might give me something to contemplate. For in the music of Kurt Cobain, there was a sense of the Absurd. But for those who know the philosophy of the Absurd, the Absurd is usually regarded as a reason to live, not a reason to die. However in the film, the protagonist's reasons to die seem absurd. I don't know if you can follow. Just read "Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus if you haven't. Everyone should do that anyway. It's not a thick book, it just demands some contemplation and experience, which will almost automatically happen after reading it. So, for Asia Argento, I think I'll have to buy films to see more of her, which is a matter of time, then. And here she is, juxtaposing "Last days":

Comments

• But now the next morning I must say the atmosphere of the film really stuck in me over night. It almost makes the Grunge atmosphere look like an absurd singularity, which for reasons of entropy could only exist for a few years. It proved better to be more awake and fresh than one was in the Grunge era, but it is less poetic. In the film, the rockstar guy murmurs something like "Jesus! Artificial cheese!" when he cooks a meal. I mean how stuff like that made you sick was actually very healthy in a way. But now we keep melting the poles, probably as a subconscious revenge for the Titanic disaster. When you sleep over it, It's a really special film I find. If you expect a thriller about what lead to Kurt Cobain's death, that's definitely not what this film is. Though interesting to research what happened in the hotel in Rome weeks before the suicide.

• I also remember grunge years, as I was just finishing school and starting university. I'd been into metal and rock for the few years previous, and I was a regular each week in my independent record stores 'New Releases' of the 7inch vinyl section. I hadn't heard of Nirvana at that point, but the cover for 'Smells like Teen Spirit' looked interesting, so I bought it just to check it out. I felt kinda blown away by it once I listened to it, so refreshingly different from anything I'd heard before that point.

Oddly though, whilst I really liked the album 'Nevermind', I couldn't work up much enthusiasm for 'Bleech' or 'In Utero'. Not sure why. By that point I was more interested in bands like Soundgarden, L7 and Daisy Chainsaw. Not to mention discovering that I was really into Ministry via the discovery of Psalm 69 and Land of Rape and Honey. By the time Cobain died I already didn't rate them that much.

Bizarrely the only grunge band I saw live was Mudhoney, and a local band in Plymouth called something like Third Avenue (which were kind of like Nirvana would have sounded had they had an electric violin in the band). Oh and I saw Daisy Chainsaw, although I'm not sure I'd call them grunge, even if Courtney Love does call Katie Jane the first Riot Grrrl.

• Whatever, Anton, you gotta watch the film! You, standing there in the snow with long hair and a coat! The film is about such people! You know, there was "Singles", "Reality Bites" and "Before Sunrise" back then, which all had the spirit of it, but "Last Days" just makes it more existential. I had never heard of Daisy Chainsaw, guess I'll see what I can find. But yes, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were my favourites and not so much Nirvana. But "Last days" has got something about the whole time in it. The first half of the film is probably the more authentic depiction of the Grunge spirit. The director Gus Van Sant has also made Red Hot Chili Peppers videos. He knows about the time, although he's an old gay beatnik, but these types are not the worst.

• Hey! Didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't want to watch the film! For that matter, I should check out 'Reality Bites' and 'Before Sunrise'. I got myself a copy of 'Singles', which I find mildly amusing but really love the soundtrack. Mother Love Bone really grooved, although some of my fave tracks by them are on 'Apple' (Go figure?).

Daisy Chainsaw, I would kind of describe a psychotic psychedelic punk. I'd imagine you'd like them. They only made one album, 'Eleventeen'. There is also a dvd with three music videos. Those may also be on YT but I haven't looked.

• Hey! Didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't want to watch the film! For that matter, I should check out 'Reality Bites' and 'Before Sunrise'. I got myself a copy of 'Singles', which I find mildly amusing but really love the soundtrack. Mother Love Bone really grooved, although some of my fave tracks by them are on 'Apple' (Go figure?).

Daisy Chainsaw, I would kind of describe a psychotic psychedelic punk. I'd imagine you'd like them. They only made one album, 'Eleventeen'. There is also a dvd with three music videos. Those may also be on YT but I haven't looked.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler