Krabtastic Inanna on Ayahuasca

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jamendo.com

Wow. I've been downloading and listening to new music from Jamendo.com, all of which is released on Creative Commons licenses, and I have to say there is some real good tunes/bands/artists on there in pretty much any genre you can think of.

I feel like I've just located the new avante garde of underground music...

...screw the record companies and the old model, this site and others like it will be where I source my music from in future. Jamendo also provides a facility to donate to bands you like, so bands still get rewarded for their efforts, plus the music still has to by licensed for use in say films or tv programs that are closed and proprietary.

Watch out for me promoting some of my favourite bands from this site...

Comments

• Coincidence! I discovered Jamendo recently, too. I had the problem that "Time Travel" got banned on YouTube for some countries because I used some copyrighted music. I looked for alternatives for my current project and that was when I discovered Jamendo. That means my new film will necessarily be CC as well. My utopia is rather the opposite though: Everyone's happy consuming and producing art and eats for free. That's my model for world peace.

• Anyway, if you are interested in adding me as a friend on jamendo, and sharing favourites and stuff, my profile can be found here: http://www.jamendo.com/en/user/antonchanning.

• I am not yet registered to Jamendo.

In what way is it the opposite? I mean, we still live in capitalism, and you have got to work and I have got to look for a job to survive and secure the future and just to eat and drink and all. My dream was financing this with art so I could do all the anarchist fun stuff all the time. This doesn't work out. The community of the global village wants to save money on art first. Everybody is still willing to pay for food, cars, iPods and stuff. But the production of the latter can (with some wits applied) or could (if not) soon all be automatized. The production of art cannot be automatized so easily. Still the artists are the first that are expected that they give away their products for free. I don't want the artists to be the ruling class. I prefer a classless society. But I think basically those workers get the most money whose work is least needed because it could as well be done by machines completely. There are food-artists on the other hand.

• Hmm, I think things that can be automated cheaply generally are, so I'm not sure what you mean. And no-one expects artists to give their art away free, nor do we expect anyone to do so. KopyLeft began with the Principia Discordia as far as I'm aware, although there may be earlier precedents I'm not aware of. Next it was computer software that took up the guantlet (a lot of early nerds were into Discordianism), and created software on various CopyLeft licenses, such GNU GPL.

As for food, I am aware of cooperatives where you can get a meal for a 'suggested donation', chat with those there and help with the washing up etc. Even help prepare the meal if you wish, so I think it really depends on what you are looking for. Those that can donate more, homeless etc, eat for free if they wish.

And Jamendo allows for artists to be rewarded through donation, and it can still prove great publicity for gigs, merchandise such as hard CDs, DVDs, TShirts etc. If the music I'm currently starting to make gets good enough I'd consider sharing it, I'd definitely release it on a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License like everything else I release these days. I plan to release my next book on that license. Although it wouldn't preclude me releasing a special version with copyright content via a specific publisher. And if Holywood wanted to use CC music in their films, they'd have 2 options, release the film as CC (cudos to them if they did), or license it from the artist to allow it to be used in a copyrighted work. I expect most would opt for the latter.

I think music will continue to be funded, and some musicians will continue to earn money. But like before, most will struggle to make a living from it, but thats not new, thats just how it always been. All thats changing is the way the artists get paid...

• Hmm, I think things that can be automated cheaply generally are, so I'm not sure what you mean. And no-one expects artists to give their art away free, nor do we expect anyone to do so. KopyLeft began with the Principia Discordia as far as I'm aware, although there may be earlier precedents I'm not aware of. Next it was computer software that took up the guantlet (a lot of early nerds were into Discordianism), and created software on various CopyLeft licenses, such GNU GPL.

As for food, I am aware of cooperatives where you can get a meal for a 'suggested donation', chat with those there and help with the washing up etc. Even help prepare the meal if you wish, so I think it really depends on what you are looking for. Those that can donate more, homeless etc, eat for free if they wish.

And Jamendo allows for artists to be rewarded through donation, and it can still prove great publicity for gigs, merchandise such as hard CDs, DVDs, TShirts etc. If the music I'm currently starting to make gets good enough I'd consider sharing it, I'd definitely release it on a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License like everything else I release these days. I plan to release my next book on that license. Although it wouldn't preclude me releasing a special version with copyright content via a specific publisher. And if Holywood wanted to use CC music in their films, they'd have 2 options, release the film as CC (cudos to them if they did), or license it from the artist to allow it to be used in a copyrighted work. I expect most would opt for the latter.

I think music will continue to be funded, and some musicians will continue to earn money. But like before, most will struggle to make a living from it, but thats not new, thats just how it always been. All thats changing is the way the artists get paid...

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler