Kommunity working with Ice founnd by Atai

Greetings agent.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion

Back to the primitive

Do you sometimes wish you were part of a tribe living in nature? I do love technology and comforts of the modern life, but sometimes I wish I could live more simply, away from over-populated areas and all the noise and work. Just hunt, gather and spend most of the day lazily listening to the sounds of nature. Or maybe be a shaman and consume psychedelics as much as I want.

Last month I was overly into scientific, technological and futuristic mood so I decided to turn my mind into different gnosis and write something in contrast. And also not to annoy Tara anymore.

Comments

• I have considered this at various times. But I don't think such a lifestyle is really me. I enjoy living close to nature, yes. I have a forest just outside my door. And many beautiful lochs, coasts and mountains a short bus ride, train journey or car trip away. Although I don't drive myself so for the latter I rely on the odd trip with friends and family.

But we shouldn't over glamorise primitive societies. Life in them is/was brutal and harsh. Violence in ancient hunter gatherer societies far surpassed the levels we see in modern technological societies.

Furthermore, anarcho-primitivism isn't really a form of anarchism at all, but rather a form of fascism. For one it would require the abandonment of modern medicine, and the condemning of anyone who relies on it to a life of suffering or in many cases death. Plus, how could you persuade 7 billion people to give up all technology without the use of force or coercion? Not going to happen. Even WITH force and coercion it would be incredibly difficult.

Technology is not the enemy. Even taking into account its misuse, we are in a much better position than we were without it. Besides, even making a fire or a wheel is a kind of technology. Where would the line get drawn? Any such line would be arbitrary and ideologically driven.

• "Not to annoy Tara anymore??". You cheeky monkey I don't have anything against science. I quite like it. It's just that my husband has a certain obsession about logic. Everything has to be logical. Apart from his moods that is... Damn me- he's a one moody bitch sometimes

• Lol I got a troll label. I dont know should I feel honored. But I didnt mean to sound like a troll.

Anton you always have interesting informations about lots of different subjects. My romantic view of ancient cultures comes from Mckenna. But I guess he was relying more on his fantasy than facts.

Forgive me Tara.

• edited April 2015

I seriously hope you're kidding now Aariel... Ever since Anton and I stopped arguing about meaning of New Age this forum missed a proper agent fight ❤

• I dont understand you people. I am a mushroom.

• A mushroom? I knew it!

index.jpg
    200 x 144 - 6K
  • edited April 2015

Officially ruined whole discussion now... Must be CMG influence... If/when I get my wits back together I will try to write something substantial in here. A hippy village is still my dream. We have a group of friends, all of us dreaming it will happen one day.. All we need is a piece of land but none of us has the money...

• Comments such as "And also not to annoy Tara anymore." <-- Are to be encouraged with the 'Troll' reaction, especially when they provoke a comment from the agent named. 'Obvious' is for failed attempts. 'Grumbles' are for appearances of genuine anger. Together, 'Troll', 'Obvious' and 'Grumbles' make up the three troll reactions. Troll attracts positive karma and is like 'Sex' and 'Lulz' in terms of karma points. 'Obvious' is neutral in terms of karma points. 'Grumbles' is like 'Hex' in terms of karma points, except that if a single comment gets 5 grumble reactions, it gets an award of positive karma. A risky karma strategy. There are also badges awarded for comments that generate 5 reactions of the same type.

Anyway, trolls are nature spirits, so wholely appropriate to this discussion. Just like mushrooms...

• A Hippy village needn't be anti-technology, more about clever use of technology in harmony with natural cycles. Understanding of natural cycles and harnessing renewable energy is a high technological goal. Removal of illth (harmful technology and practises detrimental to health and therefore wealth) from our lifestyles is a worthwhile 'hippy' goal without having to embrace so kind of primitivist idealism. Maybe I'm just a cyber-hippy though...

• I agree. I couldn't live without internet... It's too important to me

• Anton Channing wrote: »
    A Hippy village needn't be anti-technology, more about clever use of technology in harmony with natural cycles. Understanding of natural cycles and harnessing renewable energy is a high technological goal. Removal of illth (harmful technology and practises detrimental to health and therefore wealth) from our lifestyles is a worthwhile 'hippy' goal without having to embrace so kind of primitivist idealism. Maybe I'm just a cyber-hippy though...

Many of the ecologic-philosophical problems we face nowadays about the "nature versus technology" theme comes from the fact that we don't see ourselves as a part of a natural net of living relations that was and it is being forged by the laws of natural selection to play an ecological role with maximum efficiency. The animals, plants, fungi and every living creature on the planet live under the law of the best use of resources possible (for many of these creatures a little detour from this condition of "optimum" means death, in population scale, extinction). When separating nature from our acts and thoughts, we are giving up on the biggest source of "technological" innovations we have: solar pannels, flight, internet... you can name a thing... nature has done it before (even a dildo, man, even a dildo [even a joint, even a fucking joint!!]). When we think we can dissociate our culture and science from the earth who spawned us and teached us to see and to copy, we become monsters of nescience - we are throwing away our greater teacher and source of inspiration. My umbandist priest always say you can ask Oxossi everything, and he will bring the answer from the woods, because the plants and the animals already know all there's to be knowed. We merely copy what already exists, or abstract what already exist in our own anatomy to produce machines (but if you give a though about it, we in fact are biological machines and nature is filled with them).

Nature teaches us that efficiency and innovation are the core of evolution. That nature/technology dicotomy doesn't is a real thing, because if we were really following the ways of nature we would be living in a highly technological society.

• Zenon Tucano Goiaba wrote: »
    if we were really following the ways of nature we would be living in a highly technological society.

Agreed, because if we insisted on using technology in harmony with the natural cycles we depend on, whether meterological, tidal, astronomical, fungal, floral or animal, we would generate less public opposition and resistance to its use, and thus progress would occur at a faster rate.

• aariel wrote: »
    Do you sometimes wish you were part of a tribe living in nature? I do love technology and comforts of the modern life, but sometimes I wish I could live more simply, away from over-populated areas and all the noise and work. Just hunt, gather and spend most of the day lazily listening to the sounds of nature. Or maybe be a shaman and consume psychedelics as much as I want.

I feel like I am a part of a tribe living in nature. Herbs and fruits grow in my garden and I forage regularly in the nearby forest. Since I live in a suburb just 5 mins from the forest I hear very little traffic and see no adverts most of the time. At the same time I spend hours in front of my computer and working with technology. I do not consider them as separate.

The whole nature vs technology thing really gets on my nerves. I see technology as an essential component of nature and evolution. People to often equate technology with military-industrial complex, capitalism, pollution, global warming and other ills of civilisation. These side effects come from our screwed and immature mindsets and not the desire to improve our life and environment. The same screwed mindset would have been devastating to human societies during the hunter-gatherer phase or any other one for that matter.

I find it completely impossible to comprehend when magicians get stuck on the use of technology in ritual for example. I do not mind someone with strong preference for outdoor rituals and magick focused on plants and animals etc. I do a lot of it myself. I find it equally exciting to explore electronic gadgets and how they can enhance/create magick. I find many people seem resistant to the idea. I love experimenting with audio and video and my dream is to one day design 'art installation' magickal space. Perhaps Festival 23 would be a good opportunity to do that...

I think that nature vs technology attitude actually comes from religion. In mainstream Christianity human is a master of nature who owns it all and his superiority is granted to him by virtue of his soul. At the same time he has to serve god and be obedient to him. Technology has been demonized as man attempt to become equal to or greater than god. I remember reading that in ancient times priests condemned use of fabric dyes. They said that god didn't create purple sheep and to wear purple clothing was an offence to him. In the eyes of those ancient priests even the most eco conscious hippie would be a devil worshipper.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler